Aggiornato il: 27 nov 2020
It's that season again! My Frenchie Lyric and I are both fall babies, but I'm sure that I enjoy this season more than I. Not only do I get to dress her up, but my kids get to munch on all the chocolate that here cuteness can get for them. As we near the Halloween holiday, I wanted to blog about the dangers of chocolate to dogs, especially French Bulldogs. I would like to take a moment to delve into the what, why, and how on the topic of French Bulldogs and chocolate.
Let's be honest, we absolutely adore our bat eared friends. We make sure that we get them from reputable breeders (hopefully from us) that invest in their health and know their health histories. We don't want to make perfectly health pups unnecessarily sick. While we understand that all breeds are inclined to have certain health issues, that doesn't mean we don't do everything we can to not make pre-existing conditions whether know or un-known worse by giving pups chocolate.
METHYLXANTHINES (THEOBROMINE & CAFFEINE)
Chocolate contain theobromine, an indigestible enzyme that our canine friends cannot metabolize (i.e. process) according to Brenda Russi, DVM. In addition to theobromine, it also has caffeine. Caffeine causes their heart rates to rise; an elevated heart rate can lead to can lead to heart failure. Small to Medium dogs, like the French Bulldog, are likely to become ill, much faster than their larger canine counterparts; symptoms are likely to appear with 6 - 8 hours.
French Bulldogs are a brachycephalic breed, meaning that their nostrils can be small and tight in a select few. Labored breathing as a result of chocolate consumption is dangerous for brachycephalic breads. Chocolate consumption, as we have said, causes elevated heart rates and ultimately leads to labored breathing.
Mild symptoms of chocolate toxicity occur when a dog consumes 20 mg of methylxanthines per kilogram of body weight. Cardiac symptoms of chocolate toxicity occur around 40 to 50 mg/kg, and seizures occur at dosages greater than 60 mg/kg. (AKC, 2020)
Chocolate Types (in order of toxicity):
Cocoa powder (most toxic)
Unsweetened baker’s chocolate
Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680, fees applies)
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning can last up to 72-hrs or more; during that time you will have to monitor your canine friend until they received vet care from their Veterinarian. If they exhibit vomiting and diarrhea after consuming chocolate, please keep them hydrated. Other symptoms include:
Elevated or abnormal heart rate
Collapse and death
We care about all dogs, so please see your vet for medical advice if your dog has consume chocolate! We are not Veterinarians and you should always seek medical care if your pet consumes any items that are toxic to them.
Chocolate Toxicity Calculator https://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity